DUD CHEQUE ...... My Story

Yeboah Benjamin writes 


As a business student, I know of Dud cheque but the first time I have a taste of it, I nearly went mad. Infact the taste is more than painful and bitter. Words can't describe the feelings.

As a young graduate actively seeking for Job, I first opt to go for a sales representative of an insurance company (name withheld) while I continue my search just to sustain me for the moment.
Working for this company for six months, no commission receive yet, though I have register more than 800 clients within that period.

I started complaining and decided to quit this job after I have get this my commission.

Working for this company for more than a year, I was supposed to received a little above Ghc2500 as I have register more than 1500 clients.

Great news came my way one afternoon, the manager called telling me to passby for my commission. That moment the feeling was awesome.

I stayed at Abuakwa and this company is at Adum, imagine the traffic from 11am to 4pm in this area.
I set off quickly without taking my bath, rushed to the bus stop to pick a trotro. I couldn't bear the traffic, I get down and started jogging, I jog from Abuakwa to Kwadaso... I was very exhausted, so I picked a taxi.

I get to the place exactly 3:00pm, went straight to the manager's office only for his secretary to tell me that he is a little bit engaged, so I should wait. I waited patiently.

At 5:10pm, the manager came out of his office while I was still at the secretary's office.
He called me to his office only to give me a cheque, I was not expecting a cheque though but the amount written was beyond my imagination. I was expecting Ghc2500 but Ghc4000 written. 

What a big relieve .... I thanked him and sang all forms of praises on him.

I left the office, banks was closed so I couldn't cashed in at that moment.

I caught a taxi home, paid him without asking for change. I was imaginary rich Charlie.

When I get to the hall, I started writing my resignation letter as I have my own plans to start a sobolo business.

The night was too long for me as I couldn't sleep. How I wish I could manipulate the time.

I had already made expenses, drew my budget and I have called my Girlfriend that I will visit her on Saturday at Kumasi Polytechnic. Money swine!!!

Early in the morning , I was at the bank at 6:50am that opens at 8:30am with my school bag on my back.
8:35am, first customer, yesss. I moved, dropped the cheque on the counter, looked at the teller and stood still.
Gentleman, kindly take a seat as I work on it for you....She said.

I walked slowly to the seat, sit comfortably, picked a newspaper, held it high and spread it wide like a millionaire checking the latest stock exchange. Of course I was almost one.

5 mins no call, 10 mins still no sign. Was not bothered though as I was the first customer on the queue.

Then the voice came "Mr. Yeboah"
Yes madam, I responded and walked to the counter with my school bag. Ah still she held the cheque. No cash.

She raised the cheque and said, Sorry sir, this cheque is a DUD cheque. The account has not been operated for two years. You have to take it back sorry. 

Hmmmm, what a wicked world. All my plans has been shuttered, I was down spirit at that moment. I lost it all.

But I smiled at the teller and said OK thanks pretending like NDC losing election but still telling their supporters that they are in a comfortable lead.

The night before, I was like Dangote. The next morning, I became Ghana Revenue Authority and my Manager turn out to be Ibrahim Mahama.
 
Not a dream, but the power of DUD cheque.

I pity GRA for their 44 times frustration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nana Adu The Show Boy Is At It Again.....

The Selfless Leader - Hon. George Yaw Boakye